Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Adventures in Potty Training

Well....it's official. We started potty training Parker this past Monday. I can give you a list of excuses and reasons as to why we are just now starting.....but it doesn't really matter.

So anyway....we've had some pretty successful days. We haven't googled the subject of 'potty traning'....nor have we read any books. We've received some helpful hints from friends, but other than that....we're just making it up as we go.

The good thing: we think she is aware of when she needs to use the restroom (for both #1 and #2) because she has demonstrated this for us several times.

However....the bad thing: she, herself, is not that motivated to be potty trained. For example, I spent approximately 5 minutes this morning trying to convince a whiny 2 year old how she needed to let me put on her 'big girl panties' and not her diaper.

Have you ever tried to convince a headstrong 2-year-old how it is a good idea to wear panties instead of just going at will in a diaper? Better yet.....have you ever convinced a 2-year-old of anything??

So I ended up heading to the kitchen...leaving my darling child panty- and pant-less....until she finally caved. I'll admit...I felt kind of bad for her....but as soon as I put them on she said, "I need tell Mommy and Daddy when I need go potty!" So....she understands at least a little. I think.

I (we) have learned a few things this week and I'm planning to start changing my strategy up a bit. See- we don't have a set time that we take her to the potty. I pay attention to what she drinks and then we ask her randomly if she needs to go potty. This way has worked several times.

Other times....she gives me signs that let me know that she needs to go and she's holding it. I ask her if she needs to go potty, and in her whiny voice she says, "Nooooooo!" This happened 3 times today. And 3 times she had an accident. And all 3 times were my fault. I've been beating myself up about it, too, because I feel like they could have all been prevented if I would have just scooped her up and made her go. Because this....to me....makes me think she does have an understanding because she is holding it and is aware that she is holding it....but then refuses to go sit on the potty....and most importantly....I didn't make her go!

So...tomorrow is a new day with a clean slate, and a semi-new strategy. I am going to try to put her in a position to succeed! Something I did not do today.

It's a learning curve. She'll be potty trained..... someday. :)

________________________________

Funny conversation today:

Setting: She had just come into the living room after waking up from her nap. I was sitting on the couch. At the time, she is in a pull-up that has princess characters on it. She stops at the coffee table. By the face she is making and her mannerisms....I can tell that she has just used the restroom....but I decided not to say anything.

Parker looks down, looks back up at me, and says, "I not tee-tee on the floor."

Me: "Did you tee-tee in your pull-up?"

Parker: "No. I tee-tee on the princess," so matter-of-factly, and almost proud of herself for the mere fact that she didn't go on the floor. Bless her heart. I love this kid.

2 comments:

Kelli @ Our Growing Family said...

Let me just say, so many people say potty training was the easiest thing, but I didn't think ANYTHING was easy about it. It stressed me out to the max and there were many tears (from me!) along the way. Hang in there.....good luck....don't beat yourself up over it....and try to ignore the little comments you may hear along the way.

I will wait as long as I can before training Garrett because I have no desire to do that anytime soon. When it came to potty training, it made me wish my kids were in daycare so that someone else had to teach them!

I will say, although I didn't think it would help, a sticker chart reward chart did help with Jackson.

Megan said...

Oh how I dread potty training! I think I will leave it up to Jeff. They can go outside and pee on some bugs together. ;-)

Hang in there!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails