Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

her birthday cake.


I had the best of intentions of posting more on Parker's birthday over the weekend. But then reality sat in....and a 10 page paper, 6 case studies, 1 clinical learning journal, and 4 nursing journal articles got in my way...to say the very least.

So...tonight I was planning on posting this mega-gigantor-momma post of "all things Parker's 2nd birthday," but due to the volume of pictures I have ;) .....I am doing the cake part tonight and the rest....later. :)

I got the idea to make this rainbow cake from here. She gives an example of how to make this cake Weight Watchers friendly....but I made this one with 2 boxes of white cake mix and just followed the nice, fattening, delicious directions on the box! (NOTE: I did add 10 minutes to the cook time since I was cooking 2 boxes instead of 1)

For the coloring I used this stuff....


It's a concentrated gel (rather than regular food coloring that is runny) so that it does not mess up the consistency of the cake (and/or icing). I love this stuff.

And a little goes a long way!

And it stains. ;)


So then you divide the cake mix into 6 bowls and color as you choose....

Then start making your layers....


And "Tah-dah!!" ...as Parker would say!


Even though this blog showed her before and after pictures...mine turned out different. And I like how this one turned out...I'm sure it was an accident, though. As I am sure I could never get it to do this again. Haha!


So then I iced the cake. For some reason I couldn't buy the store bought kind (nothing wrong with it...it probably would have been better if I had of....but I didn't want to for some reason). So I made this buttercream icing with butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. It was good....but it really just comes back to the whole..."I'm not really that big on cake" thing. BUT....give me a Snicker's, oreo, cheesecake, it could even be an oreo-cheesecake, strawberry shortcake, drumstick, brownies...and I'm there! (and maybe it would have tasted a little better if I had not forgotten to get ice cream!!!)

So here's the final product...

And now for some close-ups...






Of course...Parker's favorite part of the cake were these M&Ms....which is what I thought would happen and why I added them to the cake in the first place. I knew she wouldn't be enticed by the rainbow cake that I spent quite a bit of time making the day before.

No....she would have been happy with just a bag of M&Ms!

8 comments:

Viv said...

I think it turned out adorable and beautiful!

Heather said...

I LOVE the cake!!!

Jodie said...

I love this cake. You did an amazing job!

Kelli @ Our Growing Family said...

This is such a good idea and you did a great job!! How fun!

Kelli @ Our Growing Family said...

PS.....even Aaron is very impressed by the cake!!! He made me scroll through the post several times and explain every step. haha!! He is brainstorming on how to make it more "boy-ish" for Jackson and Garrett.

Jamie said...

Abby is sitting next to me on the couch and she just looked over and said, "mmmm...a cupcake!"

Milstead said...

That is seriously the coolest cake I have ever seen. I am so impressed! It makes me want to make one right now!

Anonymous said...

If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content. cake bakery huntsville al

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails